Definition of commit
- v. t. - To give in trust; to put into charge or keeping; to
intrust; to consign; -- used with to, unto.
- v. t. - To put in charge of a jailor; to imprison.
- v. t. - To do; to perpetrate, as a crime, sin, or fault.
- v. t. - To join for a contest; to match; -- followed by with.
- v. t. - To pledge or bind; to compromise, expose, or endanger by
some decisive act or preliminary step; -- often used reflexively; as,
to commit one's self to a certain course.
- v. t. - To confound.
- v. i. - To sin; esp., to be incontinent.