Definition of company
- n. - The state of being a companion or companions; the act of
accompanying; fellowship; companionship; society; friendly intercourse.
- n. - A companion or companions.
- n. - An assemblage or association of persons, either permanent
- n. - Guests or visitors, in distinction from the members of a
family; as, to invite company to dine.
- n. - Society, in general; people assembled for social
- n. - An association of persons for the purpose of carrying on
some enterprise or business; a corporation; a firm; as, the East India
Company; an insurance company; a joint-stock company.
- n. - Partners in a firm whose names are not mentioned in its
style or title; -- often abbreviated in writing; as, Hottinguer & Co.
- n. - A subdivision of a regiment of troops under the command of
a captain, numbering in the United States (full strength) 100 men.
- n. - The crew of a ship, including the officers; as, a whole
- n. - The body of actors employed in a theater or in the
production of a play.
- v. t. - To accompany or go with; to be companion to.
- v. i. - To associate.
- v. i. - To be a gay companion.
- v. i. - To have sexual commerce.