Anagrams Of Hedge
Definition of hedge
- n. - A thicket of bushes, usually thorn bushes; especially, such
a thicket planted as a fence between any two portions of land; and also
any sort of shrubbery, as evergreens, planted in a line or as a fence;
particularly, such a thicket planted round a field to fence it, or in
rows to separate the parts of a garden.
- v. t. - To inclose or separate with a hedge; to fence with a
thickly set line or thicket of shrubs or small trees; as, to hedge a
field or garden.
- v. t. - To obstruct, as a road, with a barrier; to hinder from
progress or success; -- sometimes with up and out.
- v. t. - To surround for defense; to guard; to protect; to hem
- v. t. - To surround so as to prevent escape.
- v. i. - To shelter one's self from danger, risk, duty,
responsibility, etc., as if by hiding in or behind a hedge; to skulk;
to slink; to shirk obligations.
- v. i. - To reduce the risk of a wager by making a bet against the
side or chance one has bet on.
- v. i. - To use reservations and qualifications in one's speech so
as to avoid committing one's self to anything definite.
The word hedge is a 5 letter word that has 1 syllable . The syllable division for hedge is: hedge