Definition of pepper
- n. - A well-known, pungently aromatic condiment, the dried
berry, either whole or powdered, of the Piper nigrum.
- n. - The plant which yields pepper, an East Indian woody climber
(Piper nigrum), with ovate leaves and apetalous flowers in spikes
opposite the leaves. The berries are red when ripe. Also, by extension,
any one of the several hundred species of the genus Piper, widely
dispersed throughout the tropical and subtropical regions of the earth.
- n. - Any plant of the genus Capsicum, and its fruit; red pepper;
as, the bell pepper.
- v. t. - To sprinkle or season with pepper.
- v. t. - Figuratively: To shower shot or other missiles, or
blows, upon; to pelt; to fill with shot, or cover with bruises or
- v. i. - To fire numerous shots (at).