Definition of polish
- a. - Of or pertaining to Poland or its inhabitants.
- n. - The language of the Poles.
- v. t. - To make smooth and glossy, usually by friction; to
burnish; to overspread with luster; as, to polish glass, marble,
- v. t. - Hence, to refine; to wear off the rudeness, coarseness,
or rusticity of; to make elegant and polite; as, to polish life or
- v. i. - To become smooth, as from friction; to receive a gloss;
to take a smooth and glossy surface; as, steel polishes well.
- n. - A smooth, glossy surface, usually produced by friction; a
gloss or luster.
- n. - Anything used to produce a gloss.
- n. - Fig.: Refinement; elegance of manners.