Definition of charity
- n. - Love; universal benevolence; good will.
- n. - Liberality in judging of men and their actions; a
disposition which inclines men to put the best construction on the
words and actions of others.
- n. - Liberality to the poor and the suffering, to benevolent
institutions, or to worthy causes; generosity.
- n. - Whatever is bestowed gratuitously on the needy or
suffering for their relief; alms; any act of kindness.
- n. - A charitable institution, or a gift to create and support
such an institution; as, Lady Margaret's charity.
- n. - Eleemosynary appointments [grants or devises] including
relief of the poor or friendless, education, religious culture, and