Definition of fortune
- n. - The arrival of something in a sudden or unexpected manner;
chance; accident; luck; hap; also, the personified or deified power
regarded as determining human success, apportioning happiness and
unhappiness, and distributing arbitrarily or fortuitously the lots of
- n. - That which befalls or is to befall one; lot in life, or
event in any particular undertaking; fate; destiny; as, to tell one's
- n. - That which comes as the result of an undertaking or of a
course of action; good or ill success; especially, favorable issue;
happy event; success; prosperity as reached partly by chance and partly
- n. - Wealth; large possessions; large estate; riches; as, a
gentleman of fortune.
- n. - To make fortunate; to give either good or bad fortune to.
- n. - To provide with a fortune.
- n. - To presage; to tell the fortune of.
- v. i. - To fall out; to happen.